Monday, January 7, 2008

The Cooler

I don't know if you've ever seen the movie The Cooler, but it's worth a look, in a Leaving Las Vegas sort of way. Regardless, Alec Baldwin is excellent in that movie. Just don't watch it when you're catching cold cards or your head will really be spinning.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because there seems to be a like between my state of mind and the cards. When I'm in good spirits, the cards seem to favor me, when I'm not, they don't. So, you would say, why not just keep a rosy outlook on life and things will be grand. Unfortunately its not that easy.

Tonight was a great example. I'm playing some 25-50 cent NL hold'em (6 max) on FT and I'm cruising along. No big wins, but I finally pick up AA on the button. $2 pre-flop, he calls from the big blind (because he's gotta protect those two quarters that are out there). Flop comes down 2s-6c-4c. I decide to be a little sneaky and just call his pot sized bet. On the turn (Qd) he slows down and checks. I decide that with 12.75 in the pot and him only having 19.50 left, he's probably committed and if he has me beat he has me beat, but all the money is probably going in anyway. So after his check, I just push. He goes into the tank, and just before the clock expires, he decides that his 6-5 warrants a call. After all, he is pot committed with second pair, a gutshot straight draw and a mighty 5 kicker. I wouldn't be telling this story if a 6 hadn't hit on the river and robbed me of a $50 pot.

The reason I tell this story is because this hand, combined with my wife pointing out that I hadn't completed a few things I said I was going to do should have put me on tilt. And for a while I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have (the BCS title game was a bit of a distraction too), and probably playing a little more loose-weak than I'd prefer. But in the end, I managed to keep my losses to $9.

I'm still down $165 in online cash games for the year, so thebmorekid is ahead on the bet. But I think he's bailed on cash games until I catch up. Just read his post about his most recent 45 man SNG disaster...

1 comment:

thebmorekid said...

The Cooler is awesome, and William H. Macy isn't half bad in it either...

It sounds to me like you controlled the tilt-o-meter rather well last night. When will we get to the point where it doesn't even phase us? I keep reading about it in the books, but I've yet to acommplish this zen-like state. Five outers still sting to me.

I haven't bailed on cash, just working on that ugly sharkscope chart for a couple of days. But you do bring up a good point. Perhaps allowing you time to catch up is a bad idea...I'll have to keep at least one cash game running at all times from here on out....