Friday, January 11, 2008

Turning it around, maybe?

Last time I wrote, I was coming off a tough cash game loss here at my house. It sucks when you lose and you can't leave. But on Wednesday I talked to thebmorekid and I was feeling better than I've ever felt after a big losing session. I thought I had played well and put myself in good situations, but the villians either had cards at the top end of their range, or happened to be hitting flops, turns and rivers. So, I took Wednesday night off and watched Superbad with Mom_x_2. It made for a nice break and I think helped me keep my positive frame of mind.

With that being said, I played a little on Thursday afternoon on FT. I managed to log a good session, up $100 on the 50dollar (50 cent - 1 dollar) game in about an hour or so. I caught some hands, but mostly just stayed out of bad spots and didn't try to steal or bluff at all. All of this put me in great spirits heading into last night's home game at Kori's. I came into the game making some strategic adjustments that helped.

1. I bought in for $100 instead of $60. I think I've come to recognize that I'm much more patient and a better player with a big stack in front of me. I though the shorter stack would help me limit my losses, but it just meant I was buying in more often and it's a psychological blow everytime you reach in your pocket for a rebuy.

2. I decided to pay more attention to position. I kept finding myself calling into these 8 way pots with crap from early position because of pot odds. I decided that wasn't a good idea and that I wasn't flopping or stealing often enough to justify it.

3. I wanted to have fun. I had been so analytical in the past few sessions that I just wasn't enjoying it as much as I had in the past.

I thought I made good decisions and I finished the night up about $200 for the night. It helped that I was at "Table 2," didn't have to face the Punisher, and was able to play a lot more small pots. It was just the kind of session I needed to help keep the roll going and hopefully continue to turn things around. The last month has been tough (both online and live), it would be nice to go into the $300 event at the Borgata Winter Open on a roll.

1 comment:

thebmorekid said...

Just an FYI- You looked flawless on Thursday night. In a groove....wish I could've said the same for myself. I'm having problems with the newbies over there, but I think I've got it figured out in my head. We shall see...